Friday, October 31, 2008

What Kind of Mantel Do I Need?


Now that the shutter is complete in our living room, I am starting to focus on the mantel. This is a picture of our, as yet, untouched mantel in all its glory. Now, the picture that my husband hung for me that is way too low, but it's there. I don't have a photo to show you but the wall that that fireplace sits on is very tall and the room has a cathedral ceiling which makes the wall appear even taller than it is. We are lucky in that the fireplace is not just hanging on the wall like so many are these days until we finish them off but, actually already had a nice marble tile surround that I think I'll keep intact. So, the trick for me is finding the perfect full mantel in the right size and for the right price.

I keep waffling back and forth between stone and wood. I think I want a lighter color, like a creamy or whitish color and that is why I think a stone or faux stone mantle would be nice. I think any wood color might look funny but, it also might tie in nicely with the wood floors from the dining room and pull the two spaces together.

Now, if I am able to just focus on one space, the mantel area, I actually might be able to get something accomplished.

Here's the fireplace up close. The marble part is 64.25 inches wide by 43 inches tall with an 18 inch apron and the fireplace is centered in the marble tile at 40 inches wide by 31 inches tall with the actual opening starting at 6.25 inches from the bottom. I think I'd like to remove the doors and just have a screen there and maybe even just put in the fake logs so we can have a fire without polluting the environment.

What do you think? Do you have any good sources for mantels? If so, I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites